Telling My Humanities Story

Telling My Humanities Story

2019 Books in Review



This year has been one of the best years yet for me, so much has happened and changed in my life for the better. I am so glad I have this class, so I can blog about it. My readings this year are not super long but still very impactful. Some books, for school and others just for fun, but each book is special. So here is my 2019 books in review. 


Barnett, Raymond A., et al. Calculus: for Business, Economics, Life Sciences, and Social Sciences. Pearson, 2019.
  • This book is for my Business Calculus class this semester. I am a business major, so this class is required for me to transfer to a four year university. This is a math book so it is much different than the other books on this list, but it has taught me so much. Going into this class, I was so nervous, because I am not good at math. However I have an amazing teacher and this amazing book that has helped me. This book teaches the most basic forms of Calculus, and goes into depth on the business side of it. 
Calculus: for Business and Economics by Raymond Barnett, 2019 
    Kozol, Jonathan. The Shame of the Nation: the Restoration of Apartheid Schooling in America. Three Rivers Press, 2005.
  • This book, The Shame of the Nation: the Restoration of Apartheid Schooling in America, is for my sociology class last semester. This book is about the Restoration of Apartheid Schooling in America. Jonathan Kozol describes how in the United States, the hispanic and black students tend to be concentrated in schools in low income areas. This book breaks down poverty in America and opened my eyes to the reality that our Country faces regarding minorities. It is a life changing book to read and made a great impact in my life. 
The Shame of the Nation by Jonathan Kozol, 2005

Mozart, Wolfgang. Marriage of Figaro: Online Library of Liberty. Liberty Fund, 2004. 

  • The reading of The Marriage of Figaro, written by Wolfgang Mozart, is apart of the required reading for Modern Humanities. This is an Opera that we read and also got to watch performed in this class. Mozart is one of the greatest composers in the world and this opera is widely popular. The Marriage of Figaro is about Figaro who plans to marry the Count and Countess maid, Suzanne. But she is seduced by the Count and looses the trust of Figaro, until the Countess helped prove her loyalty. And Figaro and Suzanne marry in the end.  

 Marriage of Figaro by Wolfgang Mozart, 2004


Shakespeare, William. Hamlet: CliffsComplete. Cliffs Notes, 2000.


  • William Shakespeare is another one of the most famous and well loved writers of his time. The reading of Hamlet is apart of the required reading for Modern Humanities. Hamlet is also one of his most popular and successful plays of all time. I love Shakespeare's work and find him so very talented. I studied much of his writings throughout high school in theatre. Hamlet has quickly become one of my favorites of his becasue of its crazy story line about The Prince of Denmark and the love and tragedy displayed in the story. 
Hamlet by William Shakespeare, 2000

Ziegesar, Cecily Von. Gossip. Girl. Heyne, 2005.

  •   This book is Gossip Girl written by Cecily Von Ziegesar and I got to read this for fun over the summer. Gossip Girl is all about the lives of Manhattan most elite and the crazy drama that they deal with due to an online watch. Gossip girl is a website that gossips and posts about the most well know teens and adults in the city. This book is super fun to read and there is also a television show about this book as well. It is one of my favorite books I have read so far becasue of the fashion, the thrills and the talk of New York. 
Gossip Girl by Cecily Von Ziegesar, 2005
My first week of this semester was quite overwhelming to say the least. I had 18 units this semester and so many new classes that I knew nothing about. I did not know what to expect and I did not know much about online classes of Humanities. I did enjoy the interaction from my professor and fellow classmates. I knew I wanted to give my all in every class and put into school what I hope to get out of it. I wanted to obtain an A in this class and I think I have done a good job of executing this goal. I put in time studying, reading and traveling for this class. I feel that Humanities has taught me a lot about the past and how our world had become the way it is today.
Humanities is a subject I had never thought of until now and I am glad that I took this class to further my education. I feel that I have set high goals and managed to reach them which makes me proud of my hard work. I have done all the assigned work, turned everything in on time and have a high A in the class, nearing the end of the semester. Learning about Hamlet and the Renaissance was the most interesting part of this class. I also really enjoyed blogging throughout this class, it made each section so fun and allowed me to be creative. 


Modern Humanities Crash Course 





    

Comments

Popular Posts